Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Ah, Teaching...

I'm so excited. Next semester, I will be student teaching. For those of you who don't know, student teaching is that wonderful internship where a future educator works in a public school as a full-time teacher for free, gratis en totum. Well, technically, no. I still have to pay for it like I would any other class! Yes, that's right. They won't pay me, but I still have to pay them! Isn't being a student just the greatest thing ever?

I don't get to decide on my own hours, either, I leave when my cooperating teacher leaves. Well, I guess they would let me leave if my CT decided to stay at the school until seven at night. I hope so, otherwise someone would have to take me home. The buses stop running around seven, and I, a poor college student, do not yet own a car or have another convenient means of transportation.

Anyway, though, I'm totally psyched about student teaching. All of my wonderful teacher fluff theory courses have prepared me for this, the day I will actually start teaching. I have everything I've been told that I need--classroom management theories that I don't really know how to use, extremely vague lesson plan writing guidelines, six days of practice teaching in front of a class, no sub license, little idea how to invent and document effective learning activities, and no way to support myself in the meantime--I think you get my point.

I have tutored college and high school students before, though, and I'm a pretty decent writer. Hopefully that will aid me as I struggle my first day in the classroom. Now, if I only knew what to I should buy to prepare. Teaching can get expensive, as I explained earlier, and I'm sure that, in addition to the normal concerns--taking care of the hair, skin, clothes, and my supplies--I will probably be asked to purchase supplies unique to student teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment